Monday, September 9, 2013

Are You Ready For Some Football? You bet your sweet a$$ I am.



I know it's one of the more common cliques about my home state, but it's true…..at least to me. Football is a religion in Texas. Pee-wee, High School, College, Professional,even Powder Puff (which yes,I did play) all levels are equally exciting in my book. I have watched football as long as I can remember. My ALL TIME favorite television show is Friday Night Lights. This is a huge kudos to FNL, I watch alot of TV. If you have ever lived in Texas, you know how spot on this depiction is of the football lifestyle here. 

Oh Dylan Panthers how I miss you... mainly you, Tim Riggins!

My dad played high-school football and continued living out his youthful dreams of being an athlete in an adult league. His imaginary career was ended when he broke his femur landing him in the same hospital where my mom was in labor with my younger brother. (I don't think it was a requirement for dads to even be on the premises when their wives were delivering their offspring in those days.) 

I know you just pushed out my heir after 87 hours of labor, but could you waddle on down to my room with him.... and bring me a pack of smokes?

I have been a true blue fan of my home teams, both the Oilers and the Texans. I can recite all of the words to the Houston Oiler's Fight song. I have yet to be able to rap the "Houston" (Texans Anthem) by Slim Thug FEAT. Paul Wall & ZRo, but I will by the end of the season. Most fans love the action of the offensive game. Sure, there are amazing receptions, quarterbacks with the aim of an elite sniper, huge runs by gazelled legged running backs and unbelievable field goals scored by the less brawny kickers. But I love the defense. Maybe it's the sadist in me, but I love an all out, throw 'em to the ground, 'Let's see you get up after this hit' smack down. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want any player to get injured, but I like to see some action. We will revisit this predilection in February or March when I chronicle "why I go to the rodeo." 


Luv Ya Blue!


I remember sitting on the couch with my dad on Sundays watching Oilers like Earl Cambell and Billy 'White Shoes Johnson.' Talking about how we hate The Dallas Cowboys. I remember thinking that Dan Pastorinini was so dreamy. And I don't have to remember, I still can feel, how much I hate Bud Adams.


I love it that the Texan's defensive coordinator is the son of The Oilers' beloved coach Bum Phillips. 
Hell, I love Bum Phillips sausage! 


Last season I was crushed when my favorite player, Brian Cushing, suffered a season ending torn ACL injury following a low block by NY Jets guard Matt Slauson. BC, as I call him, embodies all I love about the game. On the field he is a destructive beast, that plays by the rules, at least from what I've seen. He lays opponents out like Snookie and The Situation tanning on a beach at 'the shore.' He is fearless. Case in point, after a completely unjustified shove by Shawn Lauvao of The Cleveland Browns, a brouhaha ensued. Lauvao head butted BC, who was without a helmet, he didn't even flinch. The conversation on the sidelines when Cush returned was almost as good as the altercation itself, as he joked with the Texans' trainers “You guys are going to have to pay for this plastic surgery bill.”


This is the face of The NFL




Come here Brady, I'm gonna knock that smile off your pretty little face!


Despite playing the game with barbaric ferocity, Cushing has been the Team Captain of the Texans for three years. His energy is contagious to his teammates on the field and the ones with their butts sidelined on my couch. Perhaps the most endearing attribute is seeing BC's interaction with the fans, and more importantly his newborn son. In this day and age of Baby Mommas and delinquent child support payments by athletes with 8 children by 7 different women it is heart warming to see a 6'3" 250 lb giant cradling his bambino at the park on father's day.




But perhaps the greatest testament of my love for my team is that I am awake at midnight on a Monday night watching a game that, at the moment, is not going our way. But there's still another quarter left. Yay! West coast games suck!!!

update: BC just intercepted and scored a TD, BoooooYaaaa!

No comments :

Post a Comment