Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dads Deserve Good Gifts Too!




     I'm going back to June, since I didn't have this blog yet when it was Father's Day. I ran across this photo, and no this cutie isn't someone who answered the phone on 'The Ring'-If you saw the movie you'll get it. I was doing my archiving and wanted to post it before I sent it to the external hard drive. I blurred his face to conceal how completely adorable he is.
     
     It's difficult for me to come up with ideas for presents for dads, something that doesn't involve golf themes or the typical dad stereotyped projects. I was cleaning out H2's room and saw the electric guitar that he begged for but never learned how to play. I had an epiphany of a 'cool dude' themed Father's Day gift. First, I made a frame out of large popsicle sticks. You can glue the ends together with a hot glue gun. I used a different method. If you haven't discovered the miracle of glue dots- you should! You could also have the kids paint the sticks first and put stickers or what ever supplies you choose to use. I bought some aquarium rocks and had the children glue them onto the frame. I did have to go back and drizzle more glue over the top to get the rocks to stay on better. I took photos of all the kids with sunglasses and the guitar. Next I made a caption that said "My Dad Rocks!" and affixed it to the photo. (Dad's aren't typically as quick as moms and may not have understood the theme of the gift.) I glued the photo onto a piece of card stock cut to fit the back of the frame. Then I put each child's hand print on the back of the card with "Happy Father's Day" and the date. I laminated the card to protect it, I wish my kids teachers would have done that. (I have a closet full of faded construction paper gifts.) I used a hot glue gun to put the card onto the frame and glued a soda tab to hang it, and ta-da, a gift that any dad would proudly display in his office!


 Here are some songs that we sing about dads:

Fathers Day
Father's Day - sung to "This Old Man"

Father's Day, Father's Day
Is a very special day.
Here's a great big hug
And lots of kisses too.
Each one says that I love you!


Daddy Daddy 
sung to "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Daddy, daddy let me say
I love you in every way
I love you for all you do
I love you for being you
Daddy, Daddy let me say
Have a happy Father's Day!


Thank You, Dad 
sung to "Jingle Bells"

Thank you, Dad
Thank you, Dad
Thanks for loving me.
Hugs and kisses, hugs and kisses,
Comes to you from me.


My Special Friend
sung to "Yankee Doodle"

Daddy is my special friend,
The two of us are buddies.
I always like the things we do,
I'm thankful for my daddy.


Father Dear 
sung to "Jingle Bells"

Father's Day, Father's Day.
It is almost here.
It's the time when we say,
"Thank you, Father dear!"
Father's Day, Father's Day.
It is almost here.
Hugs and kisses to my dad.
I love you, Father dear!
(Becky Valenick)


It's Your Special Day 
sung to "The Muffin Man"

Daddy, it's your special day,
And it's time for me to say,
I'm glad for all the things you do.
Thank you, Daddy. I love you!
(Sue Brown)

Oh, My Daddy
sung to "Clementine"

Oh, my daddy, oh, my daddy,
Oh, my very special dad,
I want to thank you very much
For being my special dad.
(Patricia Coyne)


Special Day
sung to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

Daddy, it's your special day.
You're the best in every way.
Thank you for the things you do.
You love me, and I love you.
Daddy, it's you special day.
You're the best in every way.
(Susan Hodges)

    



No comments :

Post a Comment