Thursday, August 15, 2013

It's A Bug's Life




     Lately the kids in my classroom have been bug crazy. We decided this week we made some bugs to decorate our door. We started with toilet paper rolls, empty ones of course. I had each child paint their roll with bright colors. This helps the paint show up on the brown rolls. I cut wings for various types of bugs and the children applied glitter to them. While the wings were drying, I made faces with googley eyes and tiny pom-poms for noses. We used thin strips of construction paper make antennas. Once the wings were dry I stapled them onto the toilet paper rolls and used glue dots to mount the faces (I really love those things!) The kids also painted some flowers to hang with the bugs. They glued jewel shapes onto the flowers to really jazz them up.


     All of the kids loved making their favorite bugs.  We talked about different types of bugs during circle time. I also did an object matching lesson with plastic bugs, most of which came from the dollar stores. Just make sure you get two sets of bugs that are the same. Matching exercises are a perfect activity for young children, you would be amazed at how well they can find the corresponding bugs.



No comments :

Post a Comment