Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summertime Bulletin Board




     This is our current bulletin board displayed in my classroom. We went with a 
sailboat theme. 

     Summertime, Funtime- but not for all teachers.  I am one of those teachers that work at a year-round preschool. That means an extra three months of trying to come up with art that two-year-olds can manage. I cannot stress enough how important it is to me that the work be as much the child's as possible. It drives me crazy when I see art that is more teacher created than child created. The kids have a sense of pride when their parents ooh and aah over the beautiful art they bring home.



    
      For the foundation of the board I had the kids paint a sky and water background. This was mainly out of necessity since we were out of large roll light blue paper for a sky and it served the dual purpose of it being created more by the children. We used popsicle sticks that I had the children paint for the masts. They also painted paper that I cut for the sails. I folded the boats and then had the children apply stickers to them, we used ocean animal ones. Stickers serve a dual purpose for 2 year olds. They love to do them and it is a good fine motor exercise. I peel the backing off of the stickers to make it easier for them to pull them off. I hot glued the masts into the boats and we set them sail on the sea created by the class.


2 comments :

  1. Love this! What's funny? They probably enjoyed painting the background just as much! Such a great look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Yes, the kids love to paint- paper, themselves, tables, me.... On rainy days sometimes I take a large section of the big roll paper and hang it across the wall and let them have at it. It's like Preschool Graffiti. I have a hard time telling them when they are painting at the easel not to paint their hands because every time they turn around I'm painting their hand for a project.
    Thanks for the comment!
    :)

    ReplyDelete